Types of Fasting
There are several types of fasts. However, the one you choose is between God and you. Below are fasts you can choose.
What are different ways to fast?
- Daniel Fast: Eating “no pleasant food, no meat” (Daniel 1-3). This means no animal products (meat, eggs, butter, and cheese) and no sweets or other ‘favorite’ foods. Daniel fasted this way for 21 days.
- One to several days food fasts – water only
- One to several days of just drinking water and juices
- Fasting one or two meals a day for a designated period of time
- Fasting all snacks, sweets, and any other unhealthy foods
- Fasting television, radio, movies, Facebook, unnecessary internet time, video games, etc.
- Fasting shopping and time socializing
Remember, the purpose of fasting is to take the time that you would normally spend eating or doing something and spend to instead with God.
(For those of you with medical conditions that would prevent food fasting, consider some of the other fasting options.
Scripture References for Fasting: Matthew 6:16-18, Matthew 9:14-15, Luke 18:9-14
Relation to Prayer and Reading of the Word: 1 Samuel 1:6-8, 17-18, Nehemiah 1:4, Daniel 9:3, 20, Joel 2:12, Luke 2:37, Acts 10:30, Acts 13:2
Corporate Fasting: 1 Samuel 7:5-6, Ezra 8:21-23, Nehemiah 9:1-3, Joel 2:15-16, Jonah 3:5-10, Acts 27:33-37